1 a highball with liquor and water with sugar and lemon or lime juice
2 a plaything consisting of a Y-shaped stick with elastic between the arms; used to propel small stones [syn: slingshot, catapult]
3 a shoe that has a strap that wraps around the heel [syn: slingback]
4 a simple weapon consisting of a looped strap in which a projectile is whirled and then released
5 bandage to support an injured forearm; consisting of a wide triangular piece of cloth hanging from around the neck [syn: scarf bandage, triangular bandage] v : hurl as if with a sling [syn: catapult] [also: slung]
- Rhymes: -ɪŋ
- To throw.
- Dutch: slingeren, werpen, ophangen
- Finnish: lingota
- Romanian: a trage cu praştia
- In the context of "Weapon": An instrument for throwing stones or other missiles, consisting of a short strap with two strings fastened to its ends, or with a string fastened to one end and a light stick to the other. The missile being lodged in a hole in the strap, the ends of the string are taken in the hand, and the whole whirled rapidly round until, by loosing one end, the missile is let fly with centrifugal force.
- A kind of hanging bandage put around the neck, in which a wounded arm or hand is supported.
- A loop of rope, or a rope or chain with hooks, for suspending a barrel, bale, or other heavy object, in hoisting or lowering.
- A strap attached to a firearm, for suspending it from the shoulder.
- (Nautical) A band of rope or iron for securing a yard to a mast; -- chiefly in the plural.
- The act or motion of hurling as with a sling; a throw; figuratively, a stroke.
- A device used by a sexually passive partner to raise and support the legs during sex. This kind of sex sling consists of a cushion fitting under the neck, joined by 2 straps to each ankle, and these attached to each wrist.
- A leather hammock sometimes found in gay sex clubs to recline and elevate a sexually passive partner, and further raise and support the legs, hence: sling room.
instrument for throwing
strap attached to a firearm
- Finnish: kantohihna
- Russian: ремень
the act of hurling as with a sling
The word sling may refer to:
- Sling (weapon), a device used to hurl projectiles
- Sling (climbing equipment) is an item of climbing equipment consisting of a sewn loop of webbing that can be wrapped around sections of rock or tied to other pieces of equipment.
- Sling (furniture)
- Ski jumping sling is an item of sports training equipment.
(cocktail), an archaic American term for a drink composed of
spirit and water, sweetened and flavored.
- Singapore Sling is a cocktail that was invented by Mr. Ngiam Tong Boon for the Raffles Hotel in Singapore.
- Slingbox, which streams media via internet
Ace bandage, Band-Aid, adhesive tape, application, arbalest, ballista, band, bandage, bandaging, belt, binder, bowl, brace, bung, cast, cast at, cataplasm, catapult, change of pace, change-up, chuck, chuck at, chunk, compress, cotton, court plaster, cravat, curve, dangle, dart, dash, depend, downcurve, dressing, elastic bandage, epithem, fastball, fasten up, fire, fire at, fling, fling at, flip, fork, forward pass, four-tailed bandage, gauze, hang, hang up, heave, heave at, hurl, hurl against, hurl at, hurtle, incurve, jerk, knuckleball, lance, lateral, lateral pass, launch, let fly, let fly at, lint, lob, march, outcurve, pass, peg, pelt, pitch, pitchfork, plaster, plaster cast, pledget, poultice, propel, put, put the shot, put up, roller, roller bandage, rubber bandage, screwball, serve, service, shoot, shot-put, shy, shy at, sinker, slider, sling at, slingshot, snap, sock, spitball, spitter, splint, sponge, stalk, strap, stupe, support, suspend, tampon, tape, tent, throw, throw at, throw stick, throwing-stick, tilt, toss, toss at, tourniquet, trebuchet, triangular bandage, upcurve, wommera